Cardiothoracic surgery is a surgical specialty treating diseases affecting organs inside the thorax (chest) including the lungs, heart and thoracic diaphragm.
Cardiothoracic Surgeons in Grey's AnatomyEdit
- Preston Burke (Former Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Erica Hahn (Former Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Colin Marlow (Candidate for Chief of Surgery)
- Virginia Dixon
- Teddy Altman (Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Cristina Yang (Resident Cardiothoracic Surgeon)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (also known as CABG): Arteries and veins from elsewhere in the body (most cases the leg) are used to replace or use alongside the coronary vessels in the body (the vessels that supply oxygen and energy to the heart).
- Thoracotomy: Cutting into the chest to gain access to the thoracic organs. Usually performed by a surgeon at the start of their procedure, but sometimes performed in the ER or in the field by ER physicians or paramedics to clamp the aorta to prevent major blood loss.
- Thoracotomy following a G.S.W to the chest in a lift: Due to the elevator being stuck between floors caused by a powercut, George O'Malley has to open up the chest to resolve the bleeding and plug any holes until the patient can be taken to an O.R and Dr. Burke.
- Ectopia Cordis Repair: Addison Montgomery returns to Seattle Grace to deal with a pregnant woman who's child is diagnosed with ectopia cordis, his heart has grown outside his body. Addison delivers the baby, Erica Hahn works to place the heart inside the chest and Mark Sloan closes using a skin flap grown from the childs own skin.