General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal organs, such as the intestines, esophagus, liver, pancreas and kidneys; endocrine organs, such as the thyroid gland (depending on the availability of head and neck surgery specialists) and the adrenal glands; blood vessels, such as the abdominal aorta and other abdominal related problems sushc as hernias and abscesses.
General Surgeons in Grey's AnatomyEdit
- Richard Webber (Attending Surgeon)
- Miranda Bailey (Attending Surgeon)
- Sydney Heron (Final Year Resident)
- Owen Hunt (Head of Trauma Surgery)
- Callie Torres (Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon)
- Ellis Grey (Former Surgical Resident)
- Meredith Grey (Attending General Surgeon)
- Appendectomy: Surgical removal of the appendix.
- Cholecystectomy: Surgical removal of the gallbladder.
- Laparoscopic Procedures: Procedures taking place using this method are carried out using small incisions in the body, typically 1-2cm, with tools being placed into the body through these holes, including a camera, to perform the procedure. Commonly used for appendectomies and cholecystectomies.
- Laparotomy: Cutting into the abdomen to gain access to the abdominal organs. This may be the first step of the procedure (therapeutic) where the surgeons know the area they need to access, or it may not be (diagnostic, or exploratory) where they are looking for a cause of illness, more commonly carried out in trauma cases.
- Domino Transplant of Kidneys: Miranda Bailey heads up a surgical team to arrange the nephrectomy and transplantation of six kidneys between six pairs of patients.
- Resection of Leiomyosarcoma with celiac, splenic and left gastric arterial involvement: Tori Begler has an abdominal tumour that is wrapped around mutliple arteries and multiple abdominal organs are affected, deemed removable. The Chief, Bailey and Erica Hahn perform an ex-vivo resection and autotransplantation, that is, removing all her abdominal organs, removing the tumour and transplanting her organs back into her body.