Neurosurgery is a surgical specialty focused on treating the nervous system including the spinal cord and the brain.
Neurosurgeons in Grey's AnatomyEdit
- Derek Shepherd (Head of Neurosurgery)
- Jim Nelson (Attending Neurosurgeon)
- Lexie Grey (Resident Neurosurgeon)
- Meredith Grey (Former Resident Neurosurgeon)
- Craniotomy: Cutting through the skin and drilling through and removing part of the skull to gain access to the brain. This is usually the start of most neurosurgery procedures.
- Removal of Parasitic Cysts: Addison Montgomery brings her brother Archer Forbes to Seattle Grace after he has a seizure which does not resolve itself, therefore being unable to make his own decision. Archer has neurocysticercosis, parasites in his brain. Derek initially believes the surgery to be impossible, even consulting with surgeons at Mayo Clinic and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, though after a pep-talk from Sam Bennet, he believes he is able to do so.